Sunday, May 3, 2009

***Sigh***

I am a healthy person. I have a Master's Degree in Community Health, for heaven's sake. I try to make good choices for myself and Riley, and I'm really trying to encourage healthy eating.

Riley is picky. And stubborn. And strong-willed ( I have NO idea where she gets it from). And something of a choco-holic. She loves her "numma-numma's" .

She loves potatoes and chicken, so I tried to make her a healthy dinner using these ingredients. It was a version of scalloped potatoes and roasted chicken, using healthy ingredients like greek yogurt to substitute for the sour cream and low fat cheese to lower the saturated fat content. I thought it tasted great.

She wouldn't touch it.

I knew she was hungry but she absolutely refused to touch her dinner. I tried to force it, and was rewarded with sobs, tears and a major drama episode.

She went to time out for spitting at me, and when she served her time, she brought me the Wasatch Pizza magnet off the fridge and said "pease" so sweetly. I caved and ordered a pizza.

She ate three pieces.

3 comments:

Erin said...

All I have to say is you gotta know when to pick your battles. She (Piper/Riley) knows what she wants, who are we to try to convince them otherwise. That's exactly how we teach them to not trust their internal guidance. Yes, we are the adults and the parents that "know better" and should be guiding them, but if there is no harm in letting them make the decision ESPECIALLY if it means avoiding a meltdown (a meltdown, I might add, we cause because WE want things OUR way) - I say let them make the decision. WE provide plenty of other boundaries that giving into stuff like this doesn't mean we are creating a spoiled brat. There are also a lot of kids that will only eat brown/white/neutral colored foods so be thankful she'll eat pizza.
If it isn't obvious, I am not only talking to you, but also to myself ;-)

Camz :-) said...

Amen to what Erin said! I love this story because I have had more than a few of those nights myself and they ended with me giving in and then feeling guilty! I shouldn't and now I will look at it in a new perspective! Thanks Gals!!

jenica said...

hahahahahahhahahahahhaa.

so funny.