Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ask and ye shall receive or When you wish upon a blog or I have the best sister ever!

A while back, Becky posted a Blog-wish asking for Riley to come and visit her. Beck is in the middle of a pregnancy with twin boys (!!) and can't travel to see us, so we have to go there. Now, a visit to California to see two of my favorite people is never a hardship, but it can be difficult to make it happen. Apparently the blog-fairy granted her wish, because Riley is indeed going to spend a few days in California in a couple of weeks.

Here's how it happened:

I am currently participating in a year-long Health Leadership Institute that is meeting in Lake Tahoe in early October. This institute is a very good experience for me, both personally and professionally, and I am really enjoying the challenges and learning that have come from my work with it. I had made arrangements for Riley to be cared for during this week by one of her other family members, but these plans fell through and I was not aware of it until this week.

With only a couple of weeks before this trip, I was a little panicked about what to do with Riley. I felt like these meetings were important for me to attend, but I was not seeing a workable solution. I mentioned this to Beck and she immediately volunteered to keep Riley while I went, if I could bring Riley there. After she made that suggestion, everything fell into place. I was able to get my flights changed so I can take Riley to Cali, drive to Tahoe, drive back to Cali, and fly home with Riley. Riley gets to see Aunt Beck and Uncle Joey, I get to see my sister and bro-in-law, I get to go to my meetings, and Aunt Beck gets her blog-wish fulfilled.

The things I've learned from this: I truly have a wonderful sister who is thoughtful and generous and my best friend, I have a great brother in law who is willing to help out wherever her can, my daughter has a fabulous aunt and uncle who love her and are so excited to see her, and Finally...Blog wishes do come true.

Thanks, Becky and Joey. You guys ROCK!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi there amy!!!
you are so diplomatic! i cracked up when i read your explanation of how riley ended up in california.
you coming for thanksgiving???????
hope so!
b.
.... may he rest in peace!!!!

Amy said...

yeah, well...diplomacy is a strong suit.

...may he rest in peace.